Friday, May 6, 2011

Bird Sitting

Now I am feeling better and am back on the mend, I thought I'd share what's been happening around here.
I've been bird-sitting the past two weeks for friends of ours. This is their female Eastern Rosella (and man can she whistle!!) and Pale-headed Rosella male.Such gorgeous happy birds, we as a country are so lucky to have them as natives! They go home on Sunday, I am going to miss them.
Then my Mom brought over a kookaburra she had found sitting by the side of the road.I kept him overnight, and took him to the vets the next day, where they ascertained he was probably hit by a car and just stunned. So we drove him back to near where he was found (the university grounds) and released him.He was so happy to be free again!!
In the meantime, while we were at the vets they asked if I could take a yellow ring-necked parrot someone had found wandering around and brought in, while they looked for it's owner. How could I say no?So we brought "Sunny" home and not a day later got the call that they'd found the owner. We gladly let the woman come over to pick up the bird, who's actual name is Sunshine!! Good guess huh?
Hopefully they're all the birds we'll have for a while now, but you never know around here...

8 comments:

Melody said...

You are such a good person. Glad you are feeling a bit better. Your little bird visitors are so beautiful.

val said...

oh, I love this story....thanks for sharing. I have a soft spot for the birdies too!

Christine M said...

It must be quite a menagerie at your place Amanda!

Allie said...

So glad you're feeling better! My you have beautiful birds there. So good of you to rescue the kookaburra!

Quilt Kitty said...

Lovely to see the help you give for the little critters. That lady must have been very happy to have her Sunshine back. Tracee xx

Jennifer Rose said...

i want a bird now :) hmm wonder where i could get a kookaburra?...(jk)

Cubby House Crafts said...

Such beautiful coloured parrots!Good on you for helping out!
Lisa

Teresa said...

We are so lucky here in Australia.. I think we have so many beautiful birds. Sunshine and Sunny were perfect names too! Glad you're feeling better xx